Auto on most routers typically is only choosing when the router reboots. So.. Power outage/glitch, router boots, looks around, sees no other traffic ( because all other routers nearby are rebooting because of same glitch ), settles on first channel. Ditto for all other routers, and _then_ they start talking... Oops we are all on the same channel...

Repeat ad nausium...