ASE = AT&T Switched Ethernet. Comcast and others pretty much all do the same shit for MetroE.

We have three ASE circuits at different locations. All are Ciena 3930s with 1G optical hand-off direct to our routers. Each has a different peer at the other end of the EVC.

I would get a complete halt in traffic for 2-3 seconds. It was easy to catch while running a fast ping interval (50-100ms). I'd see "no route to host" exactly when the traffic would quit. We were getting no ARP replies. Like an ARP or broadcast rate limiter or filter was mysteriously turned on. So I made the ARP entries for the upstream peer static and didn't have any more problems.

I've had this problem on all three from time to time, lasting for minutes, hours or days and then it just vanishes. Even had two circuits doing this simultaneously. So I don't know if it's the 3930s or the ASE core network. Although it has been a few months since I've seen it.

I couldn't say if this is your problem, just wanted to give my experience because it sounds so similar.