Yeah, the "tilt-n-raise" hitch mount I linked earlier could be used with a 40' Rohn telescoping mast. That ought to hold a 1' subscriber antenna....and maybe a camera to check optical LOS. Those would be the primary uses.

NYSEG's unit looks like it's 65' - 70', and they appear to have a Wimax BTS on top. Going that high with that much load would be nice, but I'm thinking it would have to be powered, or at least have a windlass. I just don't think it would be safe otherwise. For how much we would use it, it's probably not worth the time to build it. Definitely not worth buying for 5 figures.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Brian Webster" <i...@wirelessmapping.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 1/12/2017 4:54:08 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Utility company survey pole

How tall do you want to go and how much load will you put on it? There have been some square tube and aluminum tubing do it yourself plans I have seen in the amateur radio community. Some of them however have very limited top load capacity as many of them are designed as supports for ends of a long wire antenna.

You can find flagpole hitch mounts cheap on amazon and build some sort of nested pipe/conduit arrangement if the height requirement is not too much.

Thank You,

Brian Webster

www.wirelessmapping.com

www.Broadband-Mapping.com