Ok, let's try this solving for Vdrop instead of Vload...  See if I come up
with the same solution as chuck:

For the Load:
Vload=Pload/I

For the resistive drop of the cable:
I=Vdrop/Rcable

Overall Voltage math:
Vin=Vdrop+Vload

Substituting Vload:
Vin=Vdrop+Pload/I

Substitute I:
Vin=Vdrop+Pload/(Vdrop/Rcable)

Simplify... And I get exactly the same formula as before....

Ahhh...  the + term turns out to be the output voltage and the - term turns
out to be the vdrop.

Doesn't explain chuck's additional stuff at the bottom of the formula
though.