In one 2 mile long rural fiber project, we had a $10,000 make ready issue. On a 2 mile run, that's a significant portion of the whole job cost.

Do you drive the route and look for issues yourself during the planning phase, or do you assume there will be some value per mile of make ready?

My concern with driving along is I might not know what to look for. So I know (now) to look for the spacing issue that led to this particular issue, but I'm sure I don't know every issue the power company is looking for.