Basketball sized limestone rocks either deflect the bit, same as a
pneumatic mole/missile, or the bit will crack the rock and still possibly
deflect. It's not that uncommon to bore half way through and have to pull
out and move over 12" bc of a rock. It's easier/quicker to move than it is
to try to go through a stubborn rock.

We had one yesterday where we hit a limestone shelf and the bit got bound
up and the torque from the machine snapped a drill rod in half. I don't
know what a shale shelf will do. We haven't run into that yet.