The closer you are to the center, the more centered the moon will be over
the sun.   Apparently at the edges of the totality path it can be actually
easier to see certain parts of the sun's atmosphere which are going to be
hidden by the moon since the moon will not be centered over the disk.   My
understanding is that once you get far enough away from the center that
this is a benefit, the length of the total phase is so short it really
isn't worth it.

Near the center, it sounds like a bit off-center isn't a big deal.
There is a map at
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=44.28306&Lng=-115.17929&Zoom=11&LC=1
which will give you the start and end times for any point on the path,
including away from the path.   It will also show you how covered the sun
will be at your location if you are outside the path.

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>