Yeah natively WDS cannot support WPA. OpenWRT and Apple baked their own
versions of WDS to support it. I doubt they’d work cross-vendors though.

Chris Wright

Network Administrator

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Josh Reynolds
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:14 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] WDS Peering

Wds peering, from what I remember, only works with WEP. Yes, same ssid, same
channel.

On Aug 18, 2017 1:02 PM, "Jay Weekley" <par...@cyberbroadband.net> wrote:

We have a campground that we purchased that was setup for WiFi using a UBNT
Bullet as the primary AP with 2 Picos connected using WDS peering.  We had to
replace dead some equipment there and I had the tech give both Picos the same
SSID as the primary access point which is how I understood it was supposed to
work.  Now the campground manager is saying that some of her customers can't
connect to the internet and they used to be able to connect to APs with
different SSIDs and the Picos are dropping off line.  Am I correct that all the
radios need the same SSID?

Yes, we are going to eventually modernize this site.