You would have to disable inband on both ends, and even then I
wouldn't expect it to go much above 550 or 600MBps on a RFC2544 test.

You said it youself: "This link performs normally with 0.00% packet
loss and full duplex layer 3 IP traffic. Between Adva metro Ethernet
equipment we can't get a 500 Mbps test to run cleanly."

 ... but it kinda goes to shit on something like an RFC2544. On
another note, what packet size were you using?