These are both informative and insightful emails, and I for one thank you both for sharing.
-Adam

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Black" <mbl...@bamicrowave.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 2/16/2018 8:48:46 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] How to test your license protection?

While I agree with a lot of what Tim has written, I might add a bit of balance from the point of view of a smaller coordinator:

Yes, there are coordinators that use the "shotgun" approach, or as we refer to it, coordination by proxy. They release basic path parameters on a PCN, gather feedback from protection agents or individual operators, then adjust as necessary and repeat. One coordinator that comes to mind seems to release every new PCN with radios configured for maximum TX power, only to follow-up days later with a modification to reduce that power to more modest levels. As the other path parameters often don't change, I can only assume this modification is based on feedback from existing operators or their protection representatives, and not due to a change requested by the prospective licensee. How you coordinate a path without considering TX power is beyond me.

But not all PCN modifications are due to shoddy work by the originating coordinator as Tim suggests. Taking Steve's example of a complaint from a major carrier, you can fairly safely assume that the major carrier's path was originally coordinated and is now protected by a major coordinator because that is how the carriers operate. If the carrier's path was actually licensed there should be sufficient data in public records to avoid interference, so the error would legitimately be on Steve's coordinator. On the other hand, major carriers are known for coordinating paths and sitting on them, unlicensed, for years on end by simply renewing their PCNs every six months. Technically there is nothing wrong with this according to the FCC rules, but it probably stretches the spirit of the rule.

If the interfered system in Steve's case was indeed being held in reserve on perpetual PCN, the real problem may originate with the carrier's coordinator -- the major coordinators are very stingy about who they distribute PCNs to, limiting distribution to licensees, applicants and designated protection agents. If Steve's coordinator wasn't in one of these categories they may never have received the PCN from the carrier's coordinator, and thus may not have had any way of knowing that they had to avoid interfering with the carrier's link. This raises costs all around: the major coordinator needs to pay protection staff to generate case letters protecting PCNs which they themselves failed to adequately distribute during their coordination task, and Steve's coordinator needs to re-analyze his path with a new, more complete picture of the interference situation, then redistribute his PCN. Meanwhile, all the other coordinators need to re-analyze the re-distributed PCN. Why the major coordinators limit PCN distribution has always puzzled us. A cynic may interpret this as a blatant attempt to stifle competition in the coordination space or perhaps as a way to pad their stats on their monthly protection reports making the protection service seem more effective than it really is. Smaller coordinators generally seem much better at notifying all "potentially affected parties".

So the ultimate reward for going with a licensed link is getting that piece of paper from the FCC saying you have exclusive use of the frequencies for 10 years. Assuming your coordinator finds you the frequencies you need, you get the same piece of paper at the end of the process regardless of which coordinator you went with, so the choice of coordinator doesn't really matter, right? In the case of the shotgun coordinator, no. As Tim points out, the new link has really only been vetted by perhaps 40% of the existing operators in the area. That 40% should be safe from direct interference. The remaining 60% are depending upon being able to detect a loss in fade margin, if they even test for it. But the new licensee is OK because he/she has their license, right? Well, not really because the last link to go on-line has traditionally borne the responsibility for correcting any interference detected after startup, and this can be more costly than getting the coordination right in the first place. But this preference fades with time -- the longer you take to detect the interference, the more you will have to share in the solution.

So, protection services or in-house monitoring of PCNs is a good idea, but think about this: the biggest providers of protection services are also the biggest coordinators, so you kind of have a fox guarding the hen house scenario here, at least in theory. The coordination side of the business can get, say, $600 for a new link while the protection side brings in $1/mon to watch an old one? There might be some temptation to squeeze in one more link next to a protected client just to lock in that coordination revenue. I have no evidence this trade-off is happening anywhere, but you can understand the economics of it. If you are the cautious type you could always hire two protection agents, one to watch the other. As Tim noted, they are a bargain after all.

I guess in an ideal world protection services wouldn't be necessary. Information would be passed freely amongst coordinators and coordinators would standardize their methodologies. The industry just isn't there yet.

Mike Black

Black & Associates

727-773-9016

www.bamicrowave.com

black&associates

Frequency Coordination ● FCC Licensing ● Engineering Design