Some inverter systems keep the inverter running all the time powering the load so there is never a transfer from mains to inverter power.

Most have a transfer switch of some kind. Relays take some time to switch and you will be without power for some amount of time.

But many devices can keep running for a few cycles of sine wave before crashing. I guess it all depends on the load.

-----Original Message----- From: Nate Burke
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 11:52 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] UPS

Not sure what you mean by Hitless, but I've never had a problem with
things rebooting when switching on/off battery.   We ran into an
instance at one of our sites where the power company had 2 HV wires
before the transformer that were bouncing into each other.  Caused
multiple power issues per second (the fluorescent lights in the building
were acting like strobes)  The UPS didn't seem to care, and none of the
equipment rebooted.