Ok, I think you missed this portion of my email last time:

*"I'm skeptical that you'll be able to generate a bitstream with enough
accuracy under Linux, without extreme programming measures.I'd suggest a
digilent chipkit wifire and the arduino ide for this.  You should be able
to bitbang at least a T1 with this processor (500mhz)"*

Generally the raspberry pi is great for 'tiny server stuff', or 'user
interface' stuff, and the arduino and/or microcontrollers will work better
for what you're looking at, since there isn't an operating system in the
way.  All arduino really is is a c++ ide with some simplified libraries.

The wifire product I mentioned is really a PIC32MZ dev board, optimized for
arduino.  If you've had enough of the arduino ide, you can download the
microchip ide and program it with a full development kit.

Honestly for what you are talking about a EUSART in even a low end PIC
might be able to handle this.  If you program the EUSART into synchronous
mode you'll just have to stuff a byte into it every 8 bit times and it will
clock it out for you.  Not sure if the clock rate is adjustable enough for
you, but if you get a PIC with the NCO peripheral you might be able to
dynamically adjust the frequency enough to make it work.

NCO app sheet:  http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/90003131A.pdf

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>