I've ended up settling (for the most part) on a service called Veem for my
international wires.  Inexpensive & easy.

It sounds like the status of the ACH services are roughly like I thought
they were.   I'll do some digging on the bill pay side--I know my primary
bank doesn't have ACH recipient as an option, but maybe one of my secondary
banks do.