172.16.0.21
Query time: 30 msec

Wait... what?!?! How is CLoudFlare faster than my own local caching resolver?

On 4/3/18 10:03 AM, Adam Moffett wrote:
It's clearly not hard.  It's obviously not expensive. I'm already doing it and have been for years.  But it's more than $0.

I've seen the geolocation issue in the past.  More recently I tried to demonstrate it to someone and it turned out that Google DNS and our own DNS gave us Netflix content from the same source.

If I used someone else's DNS and that 3rd party went away, then there are apparently 10 other "3rd parties" to choose from.  I recognize the point that it's a 3rd party and we don't want to rely on 3rd parties: But can we honestly say that our DNS servers are more reliable than Google or Cloudflare?

I'm not shutting down the DNS servers today, I'm just trying to look inward and analyze what we're doing and why.  Are we doing it because it actually makes sense or are we doing it because we've always done it and we can't imagine another way?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Justin Wilson" <li...@mtin.net <mailto:li...@mtin.net>>
To: af@afmug.com <mailto:af@afmug.com>
Sent: 4/3/2018 8:48:33 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] new DNS

You have your own DNS for one huge reason. GeoLocation for when it comes to Content Networks such as Netflix.  One of the mechanisms they employ is using DNS Geolocation to serve you the closest content.  Not only do they do a GeLocate on your IP, but some also do a check to make sure your DNS servers are coming from the same place as your customers. This is especially true if you or one of your upstreams is peered with Netflix or someone on an exchange. Otherwise, if you are using Google or other DNS you may be in Kansas, and you might be getting content from Netflix out of California, when you could be getting it literally next door.  Makes the customer experience much better. There are RFCs that address this, but if they are implemented is a crapshoot.

Secondly, relying on a 3rd party for such a critical service such as DNS can be troublesome.  Would you rely on someone else to provide the wireless signal to your customers blindly? If so, then offloading DNS is okay for you.  I want more control for such a critical service.

I hear folks worry about the bandwidth DNS takes up.  It’s not a concern either way.  If your network can’t support the bandwidth of DNS queries then you have deeper issues.

It’s hard.  No it’s not.  Tons of tutorials on Bind for every flavor of linux.  Just about any old machine laying around can run DNS.

If anyone wants to know how easy, and how cheap it is to spin up DNS (both recursive and authoritative) hit me up.  I will gladly talk with you about some strategy.

Justin Wilson
j...@mtin.net <mailto:j...@mtin.net>

www.mtin.net <http://www.mtin.net>
www.midwest-ix.com <http://www.midwest-ix.com>