Good question.  Google is all about collecting and monetizing data.

Cloudflare says they're intentionally not collecting data because they don't want to be responsible for it. PR? Brand awareness?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Chuck McCown" <ch...@wbmfg.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 4/3/2018 11:31:31 AM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] new DNS

What’s in it for them?

From:Bill Prince
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 9:25 AM
To:af@afmug.com

We seem to be close to both 8.8.8.8 (3ms RTT), and 1.1.1.1 (2ms RTT).

Might be inclined to do a blend.

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>

On 4/3/2018 8:21 AM, Matt Hoppes wrote:
Well then. I’ll put a few more routers in my network. So they have to put equipment in my datacenter. :)

On Apr 3, 2018, at 11:18, Darin Steffl <darin.ste...@mnwifi.com> wrote:

Cloudflare has posted that their goal is to be within 10ms of every ISP in the world. So they're adding their to gear to regional datacenter's and peering exchanges, not just major ones.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018, 10:16 AM Seth Mattinen <se...@rollernet.us> wrote:
On 4/3/18 8:09 AM, Darin Steffl wrote:
> I've seen cloudflare racks and they have a ton of gear and reliability > built in. They also host two of the root dns servers. Their cache rate
> will be much higher than our own servers as well.

Oh well I host 6 root servers for redundancy: D, E, F, J, K, and L