We have an electric gate for our little neighborhood. The keypad uses a little circuit board with a pair of white LEDs mounted on a tiny circuit board to light the keypad. The little circuit board is connected to a 16VAC transformer through a 600 ohm resister.

One LED is forward biased, and the other is backward biased. So I assume they alternate lighting up as they get juice from the transformer. Well, both LEDs are done, finny, kaput.

What I'm wondering is if I can put a new pair of 12V LEDs in this circuit and whether the 600 ohm resister is enough to protect them from the ~~ 18VAC that is coming through the transformer? Or should I put in a bigger resister? I have no idea how much forward current an LED can handle.

--

bp
<part15sbs{at}gmail{dot}com>