This is a “unanswerable” question.  In honesty, you can have 20k routes in OSPF
and it be responsive so the routing platform does not have a limit.  The number
of routers, is another issue, if you have 500 routers all fiber connected and
they don’t go up/down much, then no big deal, however, if they do go up down
quite a bit or you don’t know how to manage them, then yes this can be a
factor. The last thing is convergence time, if you have lots of fiber, and/or
well connected routers, then that is not a major issue, break part of your
network and see how long it takes for a reroute, if that is acceptable, then
again no worries.

Now OSPF books, state that you should have no more than 75-100 routers, but I
have read things that state no more than 50 and I have other networks that have
more than 500. So..  Again, it’s not a good answerable question.

However, my suggestion is to look at your network as a whole and see if there
is some kind of logic, to splitting up your OSPF domains.  You can use OSPF
areas, or you can use BGP between them.  But there needs to be a good, constant
method to splitting your network like that.  Keep in mind that using defaults
will cause traffic to shift, etc, so you need to plan plan plan…

Just my two cents.

Dennis Burgess, Mikrotik Certified Trainer
Author of "Learn RouterOS- Second Edition”
Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support Services
Office: 314-735-0270  Website:
http://www.linktechs.net<http://www.linktechs.net/>
Create Wireless Coverage’s with www.towercoverage.com