I am a student in the School of Film and Video at the California
Institute of the Arts. I was excited and inspired by a recent screening of
films by Djibril Diop Mambety and Ousmene Sembene. I really appreciated
this view not only into the lives of the characters, but into another
culture and its cinema. My dream this summer is to go to Senegal and
help a filmmaker.

Berenice Reynaud, faculty member in the film department at CalArts, gave
me the name of this list. She suggested that I might here post my
interest and learn about opportunities for work/apprenticeship/internship.

My highschool French teacher, Mamadou Gueye, suggested the Embassy in
Washington, DC as another place to start for leads. (I went to the Quaker
School, Sidwell Friends, and studied with Mamadou, who is from Dakkar). I
will contact them shortly.

I have also gotten the name of the French attache Patrick Devautour. I
intend to send him a letter with my CV. Quickly, I grew up in
Washington, DC, went to college at Harvard University where I created my
own major - Cultural Geography & Landscape Studies, and lived and worked
for two years in New York City before coming here to Cal Arts. I am an MFA
1 in the Department of Experimental Animation. I am interested in abstract
animation and live action. I speak French (proficiently - I took the
highschool AP course and test, studied French literature in college, and
lived for a summer in Veyrier du Lac, France).

I would appreciate any leads you might have.
This would be a very exciting opportunity to learn more about
another place, another culture, and film as it is made there. If this
does not work out for this summer, I hope to arrange something for the
future.

Please let me know if I can give you any more information or if I can be
of help.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Kate Brown

School of Film and Video
Department of Experimental ANimation
California Institute of the Arts
24700 Mc Bean Parkway BOX FK 25
Valencia, CA 91355
USA

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(323) 422 3112

---
You are currently subscribed to african-cinema-conference as: [archive@jab.org]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]