Regarding Matt Steinglass's response to my note to Steve
Smith on my research in Nigeria. Matt, your story was (as far
as I know) the first in the American press on the Nigerian
video industry and was also the best I have seen.

 As a long-winded academic I am always in awe of good
journalism that can so effectively cover a complex topic in
1200 words. Idumota remains an amazing place. I've never
seen a more densely compact, anarchic, and downright
dangerous market anywhere else. And any Nigerian video
that can be found at all can be found there.

Matt's observation that the industry began in the west is
correct. The Nigerian movies began as an offshoot of the
movement of Yoruba popular theater to broadcast
television. (Karin Barber documents this well in "The
Generation of Plays," her marvelous book on Yoruba
popular theater.) Once they began marketing these
television productions as videotapes the new industry took
off and spread to the east and other regions of the country.

The Igbo are usually credited with pioneering English
language movies. This created the possibility for a
nationwide and ultimately continent wide audience.

I am, however, beginning to try to get away from "ethnicizing"
the various components of the industry. This is difficult
because Nigerians themselves always talk about it in those
terms. But the more time I spent with actual production
teams the more I realized that they are becoming
increasingly interethnic. Some of the actors insisted that the
industry was actually a force for unity in Nigeria precisely
because it brought people of different ethnic and regional
origins together in the workplace.

Matt's comparison to early Hollywood prior to the big
corporate studios is also apt. I was fortunate to arrive right
in the middle of the production moratorium when
negotiations to professionalize the industry were in
progress. The recess did lead to a consolidation of the
professional guilds, and a tentative agreement to limit new
releases to eight a week. But some of the other goals--like
coming up with a good strategy to control piracy--remain
unaddressed.

It's a fascinating thing going on there in Nigeria. Speaking
as someone who has studied the country for over a decade
I think the movie industry is the most important development
in a long time both culturally and economically.

In the environs around Enugu it has become a common
practice for production teams to repair the roads into
villages in exchange for using them as shoot locations.
Thus, along with creating jobs in various sectors, the
industry is participating in the development of rural villages
in exactly those areas where government is failing to
provide.

Nigerians complain about the movies all the time. The
complaints are wonderfully familiar. They are the same
complaints that Americans have about our own movies--
they are too violent, they are a bad influence on children,
they use the same proven plots and actors over and over.
But, as far as I can tell, virtually everyone watches them,
particularly young educated Nigerians.

Finally, to Matt who took the overland route into Nigeria,
sorry if it seemed as if I was depicting journalists as a softer
lot than us "rugged" anthropologists. You are clearly a
veteran Africanist.

John C. McCall

______________________________
John C. McCall