On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Ingo Koll <ik...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Short entries with basic information are just fine. And less tiring for you
> who tries to build a base.

Yes! I think 100 smaller articles are much more useful than 10
complete translations of big English (or French) articles.

> Referencing I often (mostly) do by copying the ref-sections from English
> because for East African readers who are looking for referecing English is
> the language of choice if there is no Swahili literature (as it is most of
> the time).

And for real African on-the-ground knowledge where there are no
references: just add it anyway. On African language Wikipedias there
is no army of deletionists. It would be hard to get the information
translated (and keep it) into the English or French Wikipedias but for
this I think Wikibooks could be a solution. Does anyone have
experience with this?
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks doesn't
exclude information that doesn't come with references.

It could be an interesting project to turn oral information from video
uploaded to Commons, which can then serve as a base for a multimedia
style book (or more) about African knowledge. For things that will not
be accepted on the English and French Wikipedias until   new
scientific research appears or another respectable source with
information about it comes up - which can take a long time in Africa,
possibly too much time before the knowledge is gone. What do you
think?