I disagree with most of this.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 7:31 PM Steve Richfield via AGI
<agi@agi.topicbox.com> wrote:
> My AGI-related interest here springs from my observation that nearly
> everything people expect from an AGI:
> 1.  Is well within human problem solving ability.

No. Machines already do many things that humans cannot. They have for centuries.

> 2.  Is absolutely impossible.

No. The set of things where people still outperform machines is
steadily shrinking. Everything the brain does is computable in
principle.

> 3.  Is SO costly that it isn't worth doing.

No, we are already doing it. The ROI on automating human labor is
world GDP divided by market interest rates, or about $1 quadrillion.

> 4.  Would attract others to destroy the AGI.

People write malware. Future technology will allow people to create
self replicating nanotechnology and engineer lethal and highly
contagious pathogens at low cost. That doesn't mean all technology is
bad.

> 5.  Would be overcome by other differently-motivated AGIs.

The internet really has no competition.

> 6.  Requires information not available to a non-human.

Automating human labor requires collecting human knowledge. The cost
is in the tens or hundreds of trillions of dollars, but not
impossible.

> 7.  Something that an AGI can accomplish that humans cannot accomplish. So
> far, I have seen NOTHING that falls into this category.

Sure they can. A computer can easily remember a 20 digit number and
repeat it back. And other mental feats.

I outlined the requirements for AGI in http://mattmahoney.net/costofai.pdf

> I was serious when I made my reverse Turing test proposal to start a
> competition for people to try emulating an AGI, as I expected the falacy or
> lack thereof to fall out of such a competition. Until that happens, I just
> can't take AGIs serioudly.

You mean like a CAPTCHA? Yeah, these will eventually stop working.

--
-- Matt Mahoney, mattmahone...@gmail.com