What you are discussing is neural coding mechanisms. As you are aware spiking
approaches use spike timing and spiking rates as one idea. I have another idea.
A neuron fires as a result of the sum of the number of exciting synaptic
connections minus the number of inhibitor connections exceeding a threshold. If
the number of synaptic connections from a single source neuron is the log of a
value then the neuron fires when a given ratio of values is recognized.  So
just the synaptic connections from two source neurons is sufficient for a
target neuron to fire. One source  uses excitation connections and the other
uses inhibition connections. This is based on Log(A/B) = Log(A) - Log(B).  It
converts ratios into subtraction which is what you get when you sum the number
of exciting and inhibiting synapses.  I think one of the reasons few people use
this idea is that spikes are easily measured but counting the number of
synaptic connections is practically impossible without microscopic observation.