On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 1:14 AM <immortal.discover...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we ignore all this detail, we can see Evolution of Earth has been
> exponential.

Evolution is chaotic, not exponential. It has long periods where nothing
happens, punctuated by mass proliferation and mass extinction when a new
species evolves a major survival advantage. Examples include the transition
from RNA to DNA, protein synthesis, photosynthesis, oxidizing metabolism,
multicellular organisms (the Cambrian explosion) with muscles, brains, and
sensory organs, sexual reproduction, and human language allowing us to work
as groups and development technology. Each burst starts off with
exponential growth until it exhausts resources and establishes its place as
the new dominant lifeform.

We are in the exponential phase of human proliferation and mass extinction
of other species now. But population growth peaked in 1970 and is slowing
now. The rate of increase of life expectancy peaked at 0.2 years per year
in 1990. Computer clock speeds leveled off at 2-3 GHz in 2010. By 2030 we
will not be able to shrink transistors any more.

There is still room for other species to dominate humans, species that we
create ourselves using nanotechnology instead of DNA. Plants produce only
250 TW (terawatts) of carbohydrates from the 90,000 TW of sunlight
available at the Earth's surface. (Global energy production is 15 TW). We
already have solar panels that are 20-30% efficient. We already know how to
make tiny wheels and electric motors out of metal and plastic. We can make
mechanical computing elements out of molecules that are a billion times
more efficient than transistors and a thousand times more efficient than
neurons. We can build a Dyson sphere to capture all of the sun's 3.84 x
10^26 watts. We can seed planets throughout the galaxy with self
replicating nanotechnology using conventional rockets over millions of
years.

But this is not a singularity. The observable universe has finite computing
capacity, 10^120 quantum operations and 10^90 bits of memory. Progress must
eventually stop.