James, have you seen Poggio's attempt to argue that these
overparametrized models are actually OK in terms of learning theory?

https://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/124343

The basic argument seems to be:

-- In a space of overparametrized models, stability under subsampling
(e.g. leave-one-out accuracy as he describes) is a proxy for
minimizing error

-- So if it's easier/faster to find overparameterized models than
compact models, this can still be a route to maximally accurate models
so long as one uses subsampling to estimate accuracy

His statistical theory is openly hand-wavy but the conceptual argument
is clear...

In terms of algorithmic information theory ish considerations, he is
sorta implicitly assuming that the crypticity (difficulty of
discovering/learning) overparametrized models is less than the
crypticity of compact models, which is indeed the experience of the ML
and NLP worlds so far

I do not think this is the whole story by any means, but it's a
non-stupid and relevant  (if not actually original) point...

ben

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
http://goertzel.org

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to
live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same
time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn,
burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders
across the stars.” -- Jack Kerouac