All translation loses information. To translate exactly, you need to add
words to the output, whether it's English to Chinese, or Chinese to
English. Words to pages can happen between any culture. Like to translate a
word like "qubit" I have to write a book on quantum mechanics.

On Sun, Dec 27, 2020, 2:36 PM James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> architecture for Burroughs, written to me shortly after the announcement of
>>> The Hutter Prize for Lossless Compression of Human Knowledge.  If anyone
>>> knows how to get in contact with Jun Gu, let me know.  I've followed up all
>>> the leads left in the West and come up with nothing but dead ends in the
>>> PRC and Hong Kong:
>>>
>>> john97j...@aol.com
>>> Aug 31, 2006, 7:22 AM
>>> to me
>>>
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> Syntopticon is the Britannica encyclopdedia of ideas, and the
>>> Syntopticon itself is the (one small volume) codex cross referencing all
>>> the great ideas of mankind contained in all the many other books of this
>>> reference system. I have an old copy and it is the size of the Britannica
>>> encyclopedia (ie an 8' long collection of big books).  The importance of
>>> Syntopticon in the Hutter competition is that expression of ideas in
>>> different natural languages is a very different proposition.  Since an idea
>>> in Chinese is typically represented by one or a few symbols, and that same
>>> idea in English may take several pages, there is a huge difference to start
>>> with in the effectiveness of searches in Chinese or English.  There is also
>>> a  difference in the size of the database containing say a Chinese version
>>> of Syntopticon or an English version.  And a much greater difference in the
>>> effectiveness of doing automated (programmatic) searches in Chinese or
>>> English.
>>>
>>> But from the perspective of doing analyses on these databases
>>> (especially if one represents say Wikipedia in Chinese), AND I do my vector
>>> fusion conversion of that Chinese database to translate (and further
>>> compress) those symbols into an analytically tractable form, the analysis
>>> of ideas is a vastly different problem than if one attempts to do this all
>>> in English. Searches are certainly one analytic process of major interest
>>> in natural languages; drawing conclusions, making predictions, and drawing
>>> inferences are other less investigated processes. My PhD graduate student
>>> Rok Sosic's thesis was on software that understands what it is doing
>>> (title: The Many Faces of Introspection, Utah, 1992).  His poem summarizing
>>> his thesis was:
>>>

>>> *The box is a secret, knotty, black        It's so complex that I've
>>> lost track.        If somehow  it's made reflective,        The box will be
>>> much more effective*.
>>>
>>> Computerdom does not have a lot of art in inference engines (making
>>> predictions).  The most effective inference engine that I know of is the
>>> software done for Colossus, Turing's code breaking "computer" of WWII.  The
>>> Brits still treat that software as classified even though the hardware has
>>> been declassified for years.  So far as I know, nobody outside of  UK knows
>>> the details of that software.  My point here is that drawing understanding
>>> from natural languages is a relatively small art practiced mostly by
>>> cryptoanalysts.  And my further point is that the natural language of