That is applicable to mitotic life, not meotic life.  The selfish genes
that invented sex also invented the mortal individual -- programmed for
death -- as its ultimate evolutionary platform, resulting in the Cambrian
Explosion once that platform had been perfected.  It is disadvantageous to
those selfish genes for you to fear death so much that you gut the
viability of your offspring or the offspring of your relatives and even the
offspring of your ethny
<https://www.amazon.com/Genetic-Interests-Ethnicity-Humanity-Migration/dp/1412805961>
.

Where "religion" comes into play is when parasitic castration perverts the
ordinary self-sacrifice of sexual Being:

https://youtu.be/Df_iGe_JSzI

I scare-quote "religion" because what Dawkins calls "the moral zeitgeist"
has all the attributes of parasitic castration about it.

Cui bono