From: Jim Bromer <jimbro...@gmail.com>
Sent: 09 April 2017 07:35 PM
To: AGI
Subject: [agi] I Still Do Not Believe That Probability Is a Good Basis for AGI

I still do not believe that probability nets or probability graphs represent
the best basis for AGI. The advances that have been made with probability nets
can be explained by pointing out that it makes sense that (relatively) large
numbers of groups using more crude methods (that are shown to have some
effectiveness) will be likely to produce early advances. When Spock announces
the probability evaluation of some estimate that he has made of a future
occurrence it is humorous to many fans of Star Trek just because it is such an
absurd ability for a human to make use of. Certain mathematicians (and savants)
can make extraordinary calculations but there is little evidence that they are
using these calculations in their sound everyday reasoning.

I have pointed out that addition and multiplication using n-ary base number
systems were extraordinary achievements. Computers were designed to do
arithmetic. So if your AI programming can effectively exploit the leverage that
computational arithmetic enjoys then you should be able to make some advances
in the field.

Although logical reasoning can be formed using computational arithmetic, there
is something clearly missing in the field The p vs np problem illustrates this.
However, I do not think that a solution of p=np is necessary for important and
significant advances to be made in computational logic. There have been times
when advances in logic were made even though p=np was not achieved. For
example, some advances were made  in the 1990s using probability relations. (My
guess is that the more significant advances were looking at special cases.)
This does not mean that I think the probability must be the basis for
innovations in logic.

I believe that the distinctions between different methods of abstraction will
be necessary to make truly significant advances in AGI. I compare this issue to
be similar to the problem that Cauchy solved by being, " ...one of the first to
state and prove theorems of calculus rigorously, rejecting the heuristic
principle of the generality of algebra of earlier authors." (quote taken from
Wikipedia).

I am not imagining myself to be a AGI-Abstraction Cauchy and I am not saying
that AGI theory has to be stated and proved using rigorous theorems. I just
think that the logic of abstraction has to be more clearly defined.
AGI | Archives<https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/303/=now>
[https://www.listbox.com/images/feed-icon-10x10.jpgecd5649.jpg?uri=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlzdGJveC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2ZlZWQtaWNvbi0xMHgxMC5qcGc]
 <https://www.listbox.com/member/archive/rss/303/26941503-0abb15dc>  |
[https://www.listbox.com/images/listbox-logo-small.pngecd5649.png?uri=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlzdGJveC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2xpc3Rib3gtbG9nby1zbWFsbC5wbmc]