Hi, Brad Wyble wrote:

BW> I use elm so I couldn't tell, was there a virus riding on that?
BW>
BW> Just curious.

Having read the core of the message being forwarded, I was a bit
suspicious.  It didn't make sense as a virus, it didn't make sense to
me that people forward it.

See http://hoaxinfo.com/oldladyjoke.htm

It's a weird one, but some folk do follow such instructions
superstitiously.

In fact I've found in dealing with and training people who are very
unfamiliar with computers that superstition is often a major factor
holding them back from making progress.

I've heard stuff like:
"The last time I clicked this icon it froze up, but the time before
that it worked, and I had just been playing Solitaire and it was still
open.  That's why I always start Solitaire before I click that icon."

[ It also shows up in more subtle ways, e.g. you patch drivers on a
PC that often crashed when using the scanner and the cd-rom at the
same time.  Let's say it's explicitly listed in the "bugs we fixed"
section of the patch and let's further say you've tested it quite a
bit and it's now fine.  A lot of people will cling to the "old ways",
passing them along almost as insider knowledge. ]

Teaching those who can be taught to apply some logic here, to not be
afraid of the beasts, to get Scientific on the machine's ass (try
something, examine results, hypothesize, test), can be very rewarding.

Meanwhile this whole forward would be slightly amusing if the joke was
something along the lines of "How do you keep a bunch of idiots in
suspense?  Forward to eight people for the hilarious punchline!!!"

--
Cliff