> What you said to Debbie Duong sound intuitively right to me.  I think
> that most human intuition would be inferential rather than a simulation.
> but it seems that higher primates store a huge amount of data on the
> members of their clan - so my guess is that we do a lot of simulating of
> the in-group.  Maybe your comment about empathy throw intersting
> light on this.  If we simulate our in-group but use crude inferential
> intuition for most of the outgroup (except favourite enemies that we
> fixate on!!) then maybe that explains why we have so little empathy for
> the outgroup (and can so easily treat them abominably).

Good point.

And, simulating the in-group is easier for two reasons:

1) in-group members are similar to us, so we can use our self-models as
initial guesses for modeling other in-group members ... whereas if we want
to model out-group members, we need to do more learning from scratch

2) in-group is often smaller than the out-group: modeling a smaller range of
individuals requires less computational effort

Again i come to the conclusion that the root of all evil is not money, but
rather limitations on compute power...

ben