deering,

It seems that I agree with you ~70% of the time :-)

Let's focus on 30% differences and compare our understanding of
"sub-goals" and "super-goals".

1) What did come first "sub-goals" or "super-goals"?
Super-goals are primary goals, aren't they?

> SUPERGOAL 1:  take actions which will aid the advancement of intelligence in the
> universe.
> SUPERGOAL 2:  take actions which will aid in the continued survival and advancement
> of me.
> SUPERGOAL 3:  do not take actions which will harm others.

2) You examples of super-goals look as sub-goals to me.
Highly abstractional/intelligent sub-goals.
I name them sub-goals because they are not primary. They are derived
from basic human instincts.
Some of these primary goals you named sub-goal:
> SUBGOAL 1:  satisfy bodily needs, sex, food, sleep.
But for me it's definitely super-goal.

By the way, I agree that other sub-goals in your list are really
sub-goals:
> SUBGOAL 2:  make money.
> SUBGOAL 3:  wear seatbelt in car.
> SUBGOAL 4:  build websites explaining the coming Singularity.
> SUBGOAL 5:  play with and read to son.
> SUBGOAL 6:  annoy Eliezer.
> SUBGOAL 7:  learn about nanotechnology.
> SUBGOAL 8:  do household chores.
> SUBGOAL 9:  use proper grammar and spelling.

3) Goals are not equal in value.
Doesn't matter if they are super-goals or sub-goals.
All they have different weight.

4) Sometimes sub-goals could be more valuable than super-goals.
There could be several reasons for that.
Let's compare weight of sub-goal subA and super-goal superB.
- subA could serve for super-goal superC.
If superC is far more important that superB than subA could be more
important than superB.
- subA could serve for several super-goals superD, superE, ...,
superZ. As a result subA could be more valueable than superB.
- subA could be more suitable in current situation, therefore it would
be more active that superB which is not strongly related to the
current "choice" situation.

5) Only reinforcement matter when the system makes decision.
If there is no (mental) force - there is no (mental) action.