> I just had a somewhat funny experience with the "traditional AI research
> community"....
>
> Moshe Looks and I gave a talk Friday at the AAAI Symposium on "Achieving
> Human-Level Intelligence Through Integrated Systems and Research."  Our talk
> was an overview of Novamente; if you're curious our conference paper is at
>
> http://www.realai.net/AAAI04.pdf

[...]

Thanks a lot for telling us about AAAI, your account is very entertaining.

I have read through your paper briefly, it clarifies many Novamente related
concepts which were so mysterious to me.

I agree that your algorithmic approach to AI is worth exploring, but I
think one serious problem is that when you use the combinator logic to
match various patterns, there is no gaurantee that the process will
converge. In this sense your approach is somewhat similar to evolutionary
programming: You can only keep testing random combinations until your
output is satisfactorily close to your target.

Have you used your approach to learn some complex concepts? I guess EP
can only learn to approximate very simple programs currently. The
concept of a search "space" for algorithms is probably useless because
such a space has no metric/neighborhood/topology at all. And the number
of combinations for even small programs may be prohibitive.

A nice experiment to do is to think of an algorithm such as a certain
sorting, try to write the most compact code for it, and then measure
the number of *all* code combinations within that length. Then we can
get a sense of how difficult it would be to evolve programs.

YKY