Most of the AI's listed today and being worked on by groups, even Google, are not in any sense True AI's, and are merely algorithms that are tweaked for performance results.
  Question Ansering requires no True intelligence, but employs AI and lots of different algorithms to come up with a simple answer  (See Project Halo)

  True AI, on the other hand is a much, much deeper entity, able to reason about itself, make goals, and plans to achieve those goals.

Now I have a real world question I have been haggling over recently.  The definition of AI and intelligence is constantly being fought over, but I aim to pass that debate over and go strait for the heart of it.  In a simple set of statements I need to have a concise goal, or description of what this True AI is being built for, what it can accomplish.
   I have had quite a few thoughts along this line, but am unhappy with any s ingular instance of them.
   Also, What general tasks should an AI be able to do, and where shoudl my efforts be best applied.  I know AI is an extensive field unfort it entails Robotics, and Machine Vision, and man other fields that I cannot easily incorporate with my AI programming.

  Mainly I need a better goal of features to be looking at other than, "Yeah it can do everything a human can"  But not limited to something as simple as, It can Play Chess, CHeckers Etc, or IT can answer any question in Chemistry.

James Ratcliff

Charles D Hixson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It probably wouldn't do very well at such a test...no better than Delphi, say.
OTOH, how well do human experts in the field do on such tests?

The question might be, how is it developed from a sophisticated Delphi+fi lter
system. The answer to that isn't obvious, and probably isn't singular.

This approach looks like a natural one for Google to take, but you can bet
that other groups are taking other approaches. E.g., already biology people
are talking about modeling the methylization of DNA as a result of life
experiences. This will inevitably expand in multiple ways. One way (the one
I saw written up) was investigating, shades of lysenko, the heritability of
life experiences. Appearantly the grandsons along the paternal line of men
who started smoking before they were nine tend to be heavier than average,
and the suspected cause is heritable methylization of DNA. But this will
inevitably expand to tracking molecular changes throughout the body in
response to experiences. Including the mind. This will probably tackled by
some successor of Blue Gene (my wild guess!).

Then there are the groups intentionally setting out to create a human scale
AI, with creating the AI as the main goal, and what they are creating it for
as secondary.

Then there are the groups searching for ways to send messages without being
detected (and to detect any such attempts). Some of these command an immense
range of resources, and I can easily envision an awareness (inadvertently?)
developing out of that arms race, though it would probably be a late entry,
and as such not show up until it would result in a hard take-off.

There are many endeavors in process that look to me as if they might
eventually result in an AI. In many of them it would be an unplanned
accident. In almost all of those scenarios it would be delayed until the
result was a hard take-off. It wouldn't always be designed to have much
interest in the welfare of humans. But sometimes it would.

Presumably the Google attempt would result in a very slow take-off, as the
original AI wouldn't be all that intelligent, but merely very fast at
searching, and it would be relatively well disposed towards people. At least
it would want to answer their questions. This could be one of the more
hopeful scenarios. I wish it well, and hope the designers read Friendly AI.

Thank You
James Ratcliff
http://FallsTown.com - Local Wichita Falls Community Website
http://Falazar.com - Personal Website