On May 10, 2006, at 10:05 PM, Marc Geddes wrote:
TOO MUCH TALK TOO LITTLE ACTION.  START DOING SOMETHING!

Sounds good, but TOO MANY CAPITALS.

USE JAVA FOR THE USER INTERFACE AND
C# FOR THE CORE PROGRAMS

Eh, wha...?

You do not need to learn Java and C# -- they fill the same niche for most purposes -- and your time would be better spent learning one of those languages very well. My advice: pick two very different languages and learn them extremely well. If you choose wisely, you will rarely feel hindered by programming language and can program any damn thing you want. The specific language is mostly irrelevant*, so choose something that you like. C# and Lisp, Java and Haskell, C++ and Python, Obj-C and Ruby, FORTH and Smalltalk, whatever.

Though if you do not know programming very well, I do not know why you concern yourself with this. You do not yet know enough to make good choices. You can do user interfaces reasonably well in a myriad of languages, and can do "core programs" in most of them. If you do not know why you are using a specific language, you probably do not gain too much by using it other than familiarity. Learning algorithms, data structures, and theoretical computer science in all its glory is far more important anyway.

*It may be irrelevant in theory, but in practice an experienced person would (a) pick a couple languages that play well together, (b) use at least one language that grants some type of access to bare metal, and (c) use at least one language that is extremely efficient to develop in and maintain. In Silicon Valley these days, the C++/ Java/Python stack is extremely popular. I've developed production code in a buttload of languages, but prefer C and Python myself.

I've signed up for a computer science degree and am now down the labs all day frantically trying to 'pump in' the expert systems needed to save my arse.

You have to love it, the feel and the deep logic of it, or you will never be any good at it.

Learning it is easy, grokking it is hard. I've worked with many self- styled programmers and software engineers who never really grokked the field after decades of experience, try though they might. Make sure you are doing something that comes naturally to you.

J. Andrew Rogers