This is a good sample problem though, there are really two parts to it.
There is an initial case of a dark room with a goal of reading a book.
Preseumably reading a book has a requirement of being able to see it in the light.

On first occurence of this, it really has no knowledge of how to create light successfully.  Hopefully in the KB it will have several methods, ranked by probability.
Then it can pick the top couple in there, and conjecture what would happen if it used them.

On later occurences it could look back and see what it did in the past, and repeat or change those events.

So it really depends on some good causality in the database, and some kind of reasoning mechanism on the best way to get light on the book.  Moving to another room with the light on is also a case it would need to consider.

James Ratcliff

Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Another problem is that very often a response depends on the context. For
> example, when the room is dark and we want to read a book, we usually switch
> on the light. But there are other less common alternatives:
> 1. light the candle
> 2. use the torch
> 3. switch on the TV
> 4. set a fire
> 5. use a mirror to reflect moonlight
> 6. read Braille
> etc etc
> All these requires searching the state-space using all available declarative
> knowledge, which is the essense of general intelligence.

To me, the above example shows that "the essence of general
intelligence" is the ability to reach the usual conclusion WITHOUT
going through a state-space search --- in practical situations, we
almost never be able to list all possibilities, then select the best
one after considering each of them. In the above situation, some of
the other possibilities will be taken into consideration only when the
light-switch solution doesn't work.

Pei

Thank You
James Ratcliff