Hi,

The problem is that we are using the word interfere differently. Most of what you are calling interference, I would call interaction and claim as being absolutely necessary. I understand that using the word interfere in this way is logical if you think of wave interference but it's not what I'm trying to prevent.

I am using the word interfere solely in a negative sense (i.e. as the opposite of your "These processes all have to play together nicely as they are acting on the same data at the same time"). My contention is that the knowledge collection should enforce nice play.

AI architectures in which cognitive processes do not significantly and
complexly affect each other, via their interactions on a common data
store, are NOT going to be capable of achieving powerful AGI given
limited computational resources...

   Agreed.  That's the entire point to any blackboard system.

The fact that different cognitive processes "interfere" with each
other [i.e., significantly and complexly affect each others'
activities] is NOT a flaw, it is intentional and it is VERY VERY
NECESSARY.

Change the word in quotes from interfere to interact and you have my entire agreement.

If classical blackboard systems have so much modularity that each
cognitive process can be tuned independently of the others --- then
very likely these blackboard systems are incapable of giving rise to
the complex emergent dynamics that characterize intelligence.

A very bold statement and one I disagree with entirely. Why would modularity prevent the emergence of complex behavior?

Processes should always be fine and function correctly if the knowledge base is in any acceptable state or acceptable dynamic motion (as defined by the knowledge base). You can end up with a completely complex system with just two modular process and a modular knowledge base, but you should never have two processes interfere with each other (in my sense of the word) since the knowledge base should NEVER be outside the realm of acceptable behavior and the processes should be able to cope with any acceptable behavior. You may end up with unexpected behavior like oscillations, etc. but the processes should NEVER be able to mess each other up and the knowledge base can (and probably should) be designed to damp oscillations above a certain frequency and/or amplitude (and prevent other obviously problematical states). My concern about the Novamente design is that the knowledge base is not designed to protect itself and one process in the middle of an operation can destructively interfere with another process in the middle of a different operation to the extent of breaking one process or the other (or both).

And, it is very obvious that the parameters of these two cognitive
processes DO affect  each other.

Nope, it sounds to me like more conflation of design. If concept creation is looking for wacky designs, it should merely be advertising for an inference process whose parameters are set/tuned so that it returns the results that it is looking for. One thing that it should NOT be expected to do is to know another process well enough to be able to muck in the internal workings of that other process. A process should know it's properties for a given set of parameter setting well enough to advertise them. The last thing that you should be doing is co-varying parameters all over the map. It's no wonder that you're having stability problems.

The interactions between the parameter-tunings of different cognitive
processes are necessary in order to make the artificial mind function
effectively as a coherent whole.

You're going to have to back this up for me. I contend that different cognitive processes should be black boxes to each other with easily manipulated settings/controls that are a provided abstraction of the behavior of specific parameter tuning. A process should never be allowed to muck with the internal workings of another process. One process should be able to ask another process to return speculative results but it shouldn't be able to say set alpha to 1.7, beta to 3.4, and gamma to 75.

I am still not sure whether we really disagree, or are just using
words differently -- or some combination of the two.

I think that it's a combination of the two. I think that we agree that complete interaction and flexibility is necessary. I think that we disagree about the necessity for and feasibility of good modularity and encapsulation.

       Mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>