Source: First Molecular Proof That Some Aspects of Aging Are Out of
Our Control

Aging -- a random affair? A study by Buck faculty provides first
molecular evidence that some aspects of aging are likely out of our
control.

There's no argument that eating well, exercising wisely, and
avoiding high risk behaviors can increase one's chances for a
longer, healthier old age. But it's also obvious that in many ways
the aging process is out of our control; that despite our best
efforts (in concert with a genetic make-up that makes us more or
less susceptible to certain diseases) our cells and tissues
ultimately degenerate and eventually die. While scientists have long
suspected that events outside our control can result in aging, a
study led by Buck Institute faculty member Jan Vijg, PhD, provides
the first direct evidence that the molecular machinery of our cells
providing function to our tissues and organs spins irreversibly out
of control as we age. The study appears in the June 22 edition of
Nature.

The study identified and measured increases in random deviations in
the activity of genes in aging mouse hearts. The work, done when
Vijg was at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center in San
Antonio, compared single cells from cardiac tissue in both young and
old mice that were genetically identical, bred from the same genetic
strain. Scientists focused on the activity of sets of arbitrarily
chosen genes in individual cardiomyocytes taken from the young and
old mice. While at a young age, the different cells displayed very
similar activity levels for each gene. At old age, however, they
were out of tune, expressing a given gene at sometimes greatly
different levels, which is likely to adversely affect the
instructions to proteins involved in cardiac tissue function. This
is the first time that scientists were able to identify, measure and
quantify an increase in gene activity levels in the aged mouse
cells, possibly pointing to a random breakdown of gene regulation.

"In younger hearts the cells beat in tune, working together to carry
out the functions associated with cardiac tissue," said Vijg. "As
the cells age, they start to diverge, and no longer have the same
activity levels. Now that we have a means of identifying and
measuring these cell-to-cell variations in gene activity, we can
begin to focus on how they cause tissues and organs to become
dysfunctional over time," said Vijg.

What is the cause of such an increase in dissimilar gene activity
among cells supposed to act in a very similar way? One possibility
is that a gradual accumulation of random DNA alterations, also
termed "mutations" begin to interfere with transcription, i.e., the
process that generates the message from each gene that contains the
instructions to make a protein. Such interference can be a result of
mutations that cause, for example, a loss of functional gene copies
or the inactivation of DNA stretches that serve to control gene
activity. To test this possibility, Vijg and his team treated mouse
embryo cells with hydrogen peroxide, a free radical-generating agent
that damages DNA. In a sense this treatment induces a form
of "artificial" aging. The hydrogen peroxide treatment resulted in a
significant increase in cell-to-cell variation in gene expression in
the embryonic tissue, paralleling the increase found in the cardiac
tissue of the older mice.

Vijg, who is internationally known for his groundbreaking work on
genomic instability in aging and cancer, said it has been impossible
thus far to link the accumulation of random genetic damage to
functional consequences in aging organisms, with the exception of
cancer, which is known to be caused by DNA mutations. This may offer
a possible mechanism through which mutation accumulation can cause
cell and tissue dysfunction during aging. The work underscores the
random nature of the aging process, which also manifests at the
level of the whole organism. "Genetically, twins are nearly
identical when they are young," said Vijg. "As they age, their
genetic differences become more pronounced. While some differences
can likely be attributed to environmental influences, there is
little doubt that aging itself is something of a random affair.
Indeed, recent work by others provided evidence that the divergence
of identical twins also involves alterations in the genome."

"Jan's novel approaches to the study of aging continue to provide
important insights into this process," said Dale Bredesen MD, Buck
Institute CEO and Scientific Director. "His new finding that aging
tends not only to dysfunction, but also to a loss of uniformity
gives us another new view. We're excited he and his team have joined
the Buck Institute," said Bredesen.

Those joining Vijg in the study included Rumana Bahar, Rita
Busuttil, and R. Brent Calder, who also came to the Buck Institute
from Texas. Other contributors include Karl Rodriguez, Ashley Denny,
Gary Chisholm, and Brad Pollock, from the University of Texas Health
Science Center; Claudia Hartmann and Christoph Klein from the
Institute for Immunology, Ludwig-Maximilians University in Munchen,
Germany; and Martijn E. T. Dolle, from the National Institute of
Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, the Netherlands. The
work was supported by a grant from the National Institutes of Health
and a BioFuture Grant from the German Federal Ministry for Education
and Science.

Source: Buck Institute for Age Research

----- End forwarded message -----