Thanks, I can see how the connection was probably made.  Still seems like
the wrong choice of terminology, though.

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. Storrs Hall, PhD." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] ontology

Ontology is the study of categories, the kinds of things that can be said
exist. Epistemology is the study of knowledge in the sens of how can we be
sure that we know anything, as in "I think, therefore I am." The AIers
aren't
really doing anything wrong besides maybe being a little high-falutin'; I
imagine that if they really did epistemology they would call it "knowledge
understanding."