I know people can learn Lojban, just like they can learn Cycl or LISP.  Lets
not repeat these mistakes.  This is not training, it is programming a knowledge
base.  This is narrow AI.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You seem not to understand the purpose of using Lojban to help teach an AI.

Of course it is not a substitute for teaching an AI a natural language.

It is simply a tool to help beef up the understanding of certain types
of AI systems to the point where they are ready to robustly understand
natural language....  Just because humans don't learn this way doesn't
mean some kinds of AI's shouldn't.  And, just because Cyc is
associated with a poor theory of AI education, doesn't mean that all
logic-based AI systems are.  (Similarly, just because backprop NN's
are associated with a poor theory of AI education, doesn't mean all NN
systems necessarily are.)

Here is how I intend to use Lojban++ in teaching Novamente.  When
Novamente is controlling a humanoid agent in the AGISim simulation
world, the human teacher talks to it about what it is doing.  I would
like the human teacher to talk to it in both Lojban++ and English, at
the same time.  According to my understanding of Novamente's learning
and reasoning methods, this will be the optimal way of getting the
system to understand English.  At once, the system will get a
perceptual-motor grounding for the English sentences, plus an
understanding of the logical meaning of the sentences.  I can think of
no better way to help a system understand English.  Yes, this is not
the way humans do it. But so what?  Novamente does not have a human
brain, it has a different sort of infrastructure with different
strengths and weaknesses.

If it results in general intelligence, it is not "narrow AI".   The
goal of this teaching methodology is to give Novamente a general
conceptual understanding, using which it can flexibly generalize its
understanding to progressively more and more complex situations.

This is not what we are doing yet, mainly because we lack a Lojban++
parser still (just a matter of a few man-months of effort, but we have
other priorities), but it is in the queue and we will get there in
time, as resources permit...

-- Ben G