Jef wrote:

> Each of these examples is of a physical system responding
> with some degree of effectiveness based on an internal model
> that represents with some degree of fidelity its local
> environment.  Its an unnecessary complication, and leads to
> endless discussions of qualia, consciousness, free will and
> the like, to assume that at some magical unspecified point
> there is a transition to "true understanding".

It occurred to me that my use of the term "fidelity" with respect to an
agents internal model may have been misleading.

Rather than say the model represents its environment with some degree of
fidelity I should have said it represents its environment with some
degree of effectiveness, since it's a model of what seems to work,
rather than a model of what seems to be.

- Jef