This is very funny. I just sat down at my computer before I went to bed to say "just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, when I referred to a paper tiger, I didn't mean you, I meant people like Douglas Lenat."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Goertzel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: Re: [agi] A question on the symbol-system hypothesis

So, in the way that you've described this, I totally agree with you.  I
guess I was attacking a paper tiger that any real thinking person involved
in AI doesn't bother with anymore.

I'm not sure about that ... Cyc seems to be based on the idea that
logical manipulation of symbols denoting concepts at the rough level
of English word-senses, is the essence of intelligence....  And I
suppose someone must still believe that Cyc is a viable approach to
AGI (e.g. Doug Lenat? ... though, I'm not sure of this...)

-- Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303