To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: Re: [agi] A question on the symbol-system hypothesis

"Rings" and "Models" are appropriated terms, but the mathematicians
involved would never be so stupid as to confuse them with the real
things.  Marcus Hutter and yourself are doing precisely that.

I rest my case.

Richard Loosemore

IMO these analogies are not fair.

The mathematical notion of a "ring" is not intended to capture
essential aspects of the commonsense notion of a "ring."  It is merely
chosen because a certain ring-like-ness characterizes the mathematical
structure in question...

On the other hand, the notions of "intelligence" and "understanding"
and so forth being bandied about on this list obviously ARE intended
to capture essential aspects of the commonsense notions that share the
same word with them.

As Eric Baum noted, in his book "What Is Thought?" he did not in fact
define intelligence or understanding as compression, but rather made a
careful argument as to why he believes compression is an essential
aspect of intelligence and understanding.  You really have not
addressed his argument in your posts, IMO.

Ben

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303