On 11/17/06, Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hank Conn wrote:
> Here are some of my attempts at explaining RSI...
>
> (1)
> As a given instance of intelligence, as defined as an algorithm of an
> agent capable of achieving complex goals in complex environments,
> approaches the theoretical limits of efficiency for this class of
> algorithms, intelligence approaches infinity. Since increasing
> computational resources available for an algorithm is a complex goal in
> a complex environment, the more intelligent an instance of intelligence
> becomes, the more capable it is in increasing the computational
> resources for the algorithm, as well as more capable in optimizing the
> algorithm for maximum efficiency, thus increasing its intelligence in a
> positive feedback loop.
>
> (2)
> Suppose an instance of a mind has direct access to some means of both
> improving and expanding both the hardware and software capability of its
> particular implementation. Suppose also that the goal system of this
> mind elicits a strong goal that directs its behavior to aggressively
> take advantage of these means. Given each increase in capability of the
> mind's implementation, it could (1) increase the speed at which its
> hardware is upgraded and expanded, (2) More quickly, cleverly, and
> elegantly optimize its existing software base to maximize capability,
> (3) Develop better cognitive tools and functions more quickly and in
> more quantity, and (4) Optimize its implementation on successively lower
> levels by researching and developing better, smaller, more advanced
> hardware. This would create a positive feedback loop- the more capable
> its implementation, the more capable it is in improving its
implementation.

> How fast could RSI plausibly happen? Is RSI inevitable / how soon will
> it be? How do we truly maximize the benefit to humanity?
>
> It is my opinion that this could happen extremely quickly once a
> completely functional AGI is achieved. I think its plausible it could
> happen against the will of the designers (and go on to pose an
> existential risk), and quite likely that it would move along quite well
> with the designers intention, however, this opens up the door to
> existential disasters in the form of so-called Failures of Friendliness.
> I think its fairly implausible the designers would suppress this
> process, except those that are concerned about completely working out
> issues of Friendliness in the AGI design.

Hank,

First, I will say what I always say when faced by arguments that involve
the goals and motivations of an AI:  your argument crucially depends on
assumptions about what its motivations would be.  Because you have made
extremely simple assumptions about the motivation system, AND because
you have chosen assumptions that involve basic unfriendliness, your
scenario is guaranteed to come out looking like an existential threat.

Yes, you are exactly right. The question is which of my assumption are
unrealistic?

Second, your arguments both have the feel of a Zeno's Paradox argument:
they look as though they imply an ever-increasing rapaciousness on the
part of the AI, whereas in fact there are so many assumptions built into
your statement that in practice your arguments could result in *any*
growth scenario, including ones where it plateaus.   It is a little like
you arguing that every infinite sum involves adding stuff together, so
every infinite sum must go off to infinity... a spurious argument, of
course, because they can go in any direction.

Of course any scenario is possible post-Singularity, including ones we can't
even imagine. Building an AI in such a way that you are capable of proving
causal or probabilistic bounds of its behavior through recursive
self-improvement is the way to be sure of a Friendly outcome.

Richard Loosemore

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?list_id=303