On 21/11/06, Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That sounds better to me. In general, I'm against attempts to get
complete, consistent, certain, and absolute descriptions (of either
internal or external state), and prefer partial,
not-necessarily-consistent, uncertain, and relative ones --- not
because the latters are better, but because they are what we can
expected in realistic situations. Also, I'm doubtful about any usage
of terms like "axiom" and "proof" outside mathematics.

Okay axiom was used in a very lax way, I apologise. Okay. Change that
to statement about the world/agent rather than a statement about the
direct way to change the memory, which is used in the first phase of
experimentation. I didn't use the word proof though.

So you are proposing an approach to describe memory change by
evaluating alternatives, right? Will it be similar to what is usually
called "belief change" (for example, see
http://www.pims.math.ca/science/2004/NMR/bc.html )?

I wasn't familiar with the belief change literature. So it took me a
little time to get the bare bones. It is interesting and I expect
there to be some crossover with some of the potential high levels of
mechanisms within my system, but at the fundamental level I think the
approaches are quite different. For example I stress a more pragmatic
view of the worth of a memory change, so how good the system is at
solving the problems put to it after the memory change, is more
important than internal consistency.

And at least from the cursory reading I have done it seems that most
belief change lacks details in exactly how to change belief into
action. Making beliefs available for logical reasoning is also not a
priority of mine, for example instructions on how to solve a physical
task need not be stored, that is I am happy for memory changes to be
stored procedurally.

These views may change after I have read more into it, but in the
interests of continuing discussion, I shall put these views forward
initially.

 Will Pearson