--- Hank Conn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 12/1/06, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The "goals of humanity", like all other species, was determined by
> > evolution.
> > It is to propagate the species.
>

> That's not the goal of humanity. That's the goal of the evolution of
> humanity, which has been defunct for a while.

We have slowed evolution through medical advances, birth control and genetic
engineering, but I don't think we have stopped it completely yet.

> You are confusing this abstract idea of an optimization target with the
> actual motivation system. You can change your motivation system all you
> want, but you woulnd't (intentionally) change the fundamental specification
> of the optimization target which is maintained by the motivation system as a
> whole.

I guess we are arguing terminology.  I mean that the part of the brain which
generates the reward/punishment signal for operant conditioning is not
trainable.  It is programmed only through evolution.

>   To some extent you can do this.  When rats can
> > electrically stimulate their nucleus accumbens by pressing a lever, they
> > do so
> > nonstop in preference to food and water until they die.
> >
> > I suppose the alternative is to not scan brains, but then you still have
> > death, disease and suffering.  I'm sorry it is not a happy picture either
> > way.
>

> Or you have no death, disease, or suffering, but not wireheading.

How do you propose to reduce the human mortality rate from 100%?

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]