On Friday 01 December 2006 20:06, Philip Goetz wrote:

> Thus, I don't think my ability to follow rules written on paper to
> implement a Turing machine proves that the operations powering my
> consciousness are Turing-complete.

Actually, I think it does prove it, since your simulation of a Turing machine
would consist of conscious operations. On the other hand, I agree with the
spirit of your argument, (as I understand it), that our ability to simulate
Turing machines on paper doesn't *prove* that we are generally universal
machines at the level that we do most of the things that we do.

Even so, I think that we are, just barely. I hope so, anyway, or the AIs will
put us in zoos and rightly so.

--Josh