To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] A question on the symbol-system hypothesis

--- Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A nice story but it proves absolutely nothing . . . . .

I know a little about network intrusion anomaly detection (it was my
dissertation topic), and yes it is an important lessson.

Network traffic containing attacks has a higher algorithmic complexity than traffic without attacks. It is less compressible. The reason has nothing to do with the attacks, but with arbitrary variations in protocol usage made by the attacker. For example, the Code Red worm fragments the TCP stream after the HTTP "GET" command, making it detectable even before the buffer overflow code is sent in the next packet. A statistical model will learn that this is unusual (even though legal) in normal HTTP traffic, but offer no explanation
why such an event should be hostile.  The reason such anomalies occur is
because when attackers craft exploits, they follow enough of the protocol to make it work but often don't care about the undocumented conventions followed by normal servers and clients. For example, they may use lower case commands where most software uses upper case, or they may put unusual but legal values
in the TCP or IP-ID fields or a hundred other things that make the attack
stand out. Even if they are careful, many exploits require unusual commands
or combinations of options that rarely appear in normal traffic and are
therefore less carefully tested.

So my point is that it is pointless to try to make an anomaly detection system
explain its reasoning, because the only explanation is that the traffic is
unusual. The best you can do is have it estimate the probability of a false
alarm based on the information content.

So the lesson is that AGI is not the only intelligent system where you should
not waste your time trying to understand what it has learned.  Even if you
understood it, it would not tell you anything.  Would you understand why a
person made some decision if you knew the complete state of every neuron and
synapse in his brain?

You developed a pattern-matcher.  The pattern matcher worked (and I would
dispute that it worked better "than it had a right to").  Clearly, you do
not understand how it worked.  So what does that prove?

Your contention (or, at least, the only one that continues the previous
thread) seems to be that you are too stupid to ever understand the pattern
that it found.

Let me offer you several alternatives:
1)  You missed something obvious
2)  You would have understood it if the system could have explained it to
you
3)  You would have understood it if the system had managed to losslessly
convert it into a more compact (and comprehensible) format
4)  You would have understood it if the system had managed to losslessly
convert it into a more compact (and comprehensible) format and explained it
to your
5)  You would have understood it if the system had managed to lossily
convert it into a more compact (and comprehensible -- and probably even,
more correct) format
6)  You would have understood it if the system had managed to lossily
convert it into a more compact (and comprehensible -- and probably even,
more correct) format and explained it to you

My contention is that the pattern that it found was simply not translated
into terms you could understand and/or explained.

Further, and more importantly, the pattern matcher *doesn't* understand it's

results either and certainly could build upon them -- thus, it *fails* the
test as far as being the central component of an RSIAI or being able to
provide evidence as to the required behavior of such.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Goetz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>