On 12/21/06, Philip Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
That in itself is quite bad.  But what proves to me that Gould had no
interest in the scientific merits of the book is that, if he had, he
could at any time during those months have walked down one flight of
stairs and down a hall to E. O. Wilson's office, and asked him about
it.  He never did.  He never even told him they were meeting each week
to condemn it.

This one act, in my mind, is quite damning to Gould.

Definitely. I strongly dislike academics that behave like that.

Have open communication between individuals and groups instead of
running around stabbing each other's theories in the back. It just
common courtesy. Unless of course they slept with your wife or
something, in which case such behaviour could possibly be excused
(even if it is scientifically/rationally the wrong way to go, we're
still slave to our emotions).

--
-Joel

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have mastered, you
will never grow." -C.R. Lawton