Ben Said:
> Being able to understand natural language commands pertaining
> to cleaning up the house is a whole other kettle of fish, of
> course. This, as opposed to the actual house-cleaning, appears
> to be an "AGI-hard" problem...

A full Turing complete Natural Language system would not be necessary
for robotic control.

A pattern such as "{clean|sweep|vacuum} (the )[RoomName]room( {for|in}
[Number] minutes)"

When coupled with a voice recogniton system such as Nuance is marketing
would
increase the usefulness and interactivity of the robot immensely.

[RoomName] and [Number] become variables passed to the robot vacuum and can
have defaults
If omitted from the command.

The robot could come with a set of canned patterns for starters and the
patterns could
by customized by the user and associated with new behaviours.

I like the idea of the house being the central AI though and communicating
house robots through an wireless encrypted protocol to prevent inadvertant
commands from other systems and hacking.

If the robots were made to a standard such as Microsoft's robotics toolkit
then a single control and monitoring system could coordinate multiple robots
activities and prevent collisions, coordinate efforts, etc...  You'd
probably need
a backup fault tolerent system to prevent loss of critical systems like
security,
fire reporting, and temperature control.

The house AI would be interfaced with the telephone and internet so that you
could
enter remote commands if you think of something while you're away.