Your thermostat example can be used to show what I am talking about.  The
thermostat has an algorithm that says when the temperature gets below some X
amount, turn on the burner and fan until the temperature rises to at least
some X+N amount.  You get to set the X amount.  It doesn't have a table that
says at exactly 69.1 turn on and turn off at exactly 70.3 as the temperature
reading might never register exactly 69.1 or 70.3.  If you made a database
with enough entries and fine enough detail, you could just look up turn on
and turn off points for any recorded temperature but isn't just using the
simple algorithm a better solution?  I think if the goal was no create
intelligence that this would be even more important.

When I was in Physics in high school, I could have memorized all the
formulas for my exams but instead, I found that by knowing only a few basic
formulas I could derive all the others I needed during the exams.  The
problem is you have to know/understand how the formulas interrelate etc.

When my kids were growing up, I tried to minimize the number of explicit
rule/punishment combinations in modifying their behavior.  Instead, I put
forward policies and variable punishment so that it was much harder for my
kids to get around the rules and so the punishment could always fit the
crime.  With a relatively small number of policies (analogous to the
algorithms above), I could look after a much larger set of problems than I
could by just resorting to a set of mindless rules.  Working out how the
policies were broken in each case and what appropriate punishment is much
harder than just using a set of rigid rules but it is much more
intelligent(just) don't you think?

Do we divine the rules/laws/algorithms from a mass of data or do we generate
the appropriate conclusions when we need them because we understand how it
actually works?

David Clark