On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 12:21:22 -0500, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As I see it, science is about building **collective** subjective understandings among a group of rational individuals coping with a shared environment

That is consistent with the views of de Finetti and other subjectivists. In their view our posteriors all converge in the end anyway, so it shouldn't matter if there are no 'objective' probabilities.

However, my view is not the most common one, I would suppose...

I'm quite sure you're correct about that.

A minority subjectivist, attempting to communicating his bayesian conclusions to an non-subjectivist colleague in the majority, could be met with the disconcerting response that his numbers are mere statements about his psychology. :/ Thus there exists a strong disincentive to be subjectivist in the natural sciences, no matter the philosophical consequences.

-gts